It wouldn’t be right for me to live in Charleston and not master Shrimp & Grits. So tonight I decided to give it a try.
Now this can easily be served as a main course or as an hors d’oeuvre in martini glasses for fun!
- 1 pound of Shrimp (peeled and cleaned)
- 1 Lemon
- 1 Large garlic clove
- Bundle of Scallions/Green Onions
- 2 cups of Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 stick of Butter
- 1 cup of Grits (I used Old Fashioned by Quaker)
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- Thick cut bacon- about 6 slices
- Salt & Pepper & other seasonings such as cajun/creole for some kick!
Let’s Get To It!
- Boil 3 cups of water with 2 chicken bouillon cubes and add grits
- Cook for about 20-25 minutes or until the water is absorbed
- Cook bacon in frying pan and remove
- Add shrimp into pan that bacon was cooked in with the grease and cook until pink
- Add butter and cheese and salt and pepper to grits and stir
- Saute shrimp with scallions, bacon crumbles, garlic, other seasonings and lemon juice for 3 minutes
Simply spoon out cheese grits onto bowl/plate and pour shrimp mixture over top! Enjoy.. I certainly did.🙂